Accelerated Reader (AR) is a reading scheme to promote reading for pleasure. Currently some Year 7 and 8 students are taking part in AR.
The scheme -
- motivates students to read independently and identifies suitable books for their age;
- raises literacy standards amongst students;
- helps teachers to monitor students’ vocabulary growth, literacy skills, development and reading skills.
The Harefield Academy takes part in the following annual book awards:
- The CILIP Carnegie Medal is one of the UK’s oldest children’s book awards and is awarded annually to the writer of an outstanding book for children. The Shadowing Scheme encourages students across the UK to read books on the shortlist every year. Students in Years 9 and 10 take part in this award.
- The Hillingdon Secondary Book of the Year is now in its fourteenth year and aims to promote the enjoyment of reading for students in Years 7 and 8. Students will begin to read this year’s shortlist of recently published books in October within their reading group and then attend the final event in May along with other schools within the borough to vote for their most favourite book.
- World Book Day - we celebrate this event across the school with inter house competitions and quizzes.